10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Protrans Automotive & Transmission Specialists in Riverside
Once again you guys came through with amazing service, my CTS running amazing. Thanks again, you guys forever have my business. From new to old school, they got you. Don't Hesitate to call them PS: My El Camino still running amazing also!!!!
Had a transmission redone here about a year ago now, never have had a mechanic that I trust until now. They were great at communicating what was going on and didn't try to suck all the money out of me like a lot of mechanics do. They did exactly what they said they were going to do and didn't do "extra" to jack up the price. Very professional and quick. I'd recommend to anyone. A+ shop. Tiny bit more expensive than some other places, but the quality is worth the extra money.
Very professional outfit there. These guys did great work on my Kia. I know those parts were hard to find too. My car has never run better. Highly recommend this place.
Visited for coolant flush/ fill. Great prices, matched quote, stated over call nearly perfectly. Had break rotars cleaned / derusted and smoothed. Also matched quote well for good prices. Recommended my mother to visit for her cars AC issue. Got it done for much less than the dealership would have done it for. It was about 450-550. Dealership would have done it for 700-900. They perform quality service for fair prices. For anything beyond swap part service (self servicing / maintenance), these guys can meet your cars service needs that you may not have the tools or equipment for.
From the moment I called Protrans they were on top of it! Their customer service is top notch and that means a lot in the auto repair industry. They were genuine, understanding and extremely patient with me. They follow up with their clients after service and it's obvious they take their customers satisfaction to heart. Thank you Protrans! Highly recommend!