10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Protrans Automotive & Transmission Specialists in Riverside
We've been going to Pro Trans for over 20 years & always have good experiences. I want to thank Michael for his personal service all these years. They've replaced engines & transmissions in two of our vehicles. There is no job too small or too big, so far. They don't even mind working on our raised truck with a 6 inch lift! Thanks again for your the great work!
I was nervous about finding a shop to work on my truck since there are so many shady mechanics out there, but Protrans ended up doing an amazing job. They were great about communicating with me throughout the whole process as well. I believe I paid a fair price for the repair and they didn't try to sell me a bunch of service that I don't need. I will certainly be using them in the future if I need to.
The crew at Protrans replaced my fuel tank after thrives drilled a hole in my existing tank and had my truck back to me in a day and a half. Thanks again!
The team at Protrans are professional and service minded. They performed a synthetic oil change on my sister's Chevy Cruze swiftly and seamlessly. It was my first time using this company and I will definitely be going back. A shout out of thanks to Jeff, Manny, Haley and the the entire Protrans team!